Wednesday, August 13, 2008

County Fair Building aka Hall of Flowers

Okay, I sound like a geezer but...when I was a kid this was the Hall of Flowers and the Arboretum was called just that, or Strybing Arboretum if you wanted to get technical. Now it is the "San Francisco Botanical Garden at Strybing Arboretum". Whatever the name, one of my favorite places. Did you know they have a botanical library?

I did a search of photos in the S.F. Library's collection here. Apparently the building was constructed between 1959 and 1961.

It seems to me the tree that used to be right in front really obscured the structure. It's only in the past few years I've noticed the building, although I have been in it many times over the years for sales and events.


I can't remember when this blue plastic fence thing went in.

The building has grown (ha ha) on me over the years.

1 comment:

AphotoAday said...

The architecture of that building is quite similar to Pacific Grove High School, built in the same time period...   Interesting post...

I did some spooking around in different parts of the sunset last weekend, but it was really drippy-foggy and I didn't find too much to shoot...   I'll have to give it another try soon when I feel more in the mood to walk around...   I enjoy photographing out on Geary in the Russian area -- that's always fun...