Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The 1970's

I do not like 1970's architecture. For starters I don't like the whole '70's brown, orange, yellow, green color scheme. I can't stand orange glass, fake stone, black aluminum window frames, "decorative" rocks mixed into concrete, brown tile. I actually like bricks and shingles. But the mixture of shingles, rocks, yellow glass, bricks and more is just too much.

Here is an example. I don't know if shingles would have made it better or worse:


I think I subconsciously picture the interiors devoid of any trim, and filled with avocado and gold appliances. My dislike actually started in the '70's when I was a kid. There is a row of them on 9th Avenue. My sister and I actually have used them as a landmark. Here is one:


I had forgotten about another '70's attribute I despise: oozing mortar around the bricks.


I guess I just don't get the whole natural, "organic shape" '70's thing.

1 comment:

danny/ink2metal said...

yowza! i majored in architecture at cal but i don't remember any lectures about that kind of 70's architecture as being great examples of the decade.

go figure. teehee...